In the second half of the 17th century, bishops and intendants joined forces to make Montauban a modern, well-organized and airy city. Intendant Nicolas Joseph Foucault creates here in 1679, the first public walk. It responds to a dual motivation: to retain the lands that collapsed along the Tarn and offer the Montalbanais a space of approval. The course, which stretches over five hectares planted with abalone, quickly becomes a place frequented by the elegant society of the city, which likes to appear and walk there. At the end of the central alley stands the imposing War Memorial of 1914-1918 made by Bourdelle.
Add a review
There is no review about The Cours Foucault, be the first to leave one !