The Pullignieu hotel was one of the most majestic mansions of Montalban in the late 18th century. Only a few photographs from the early 20th century still testify to its luster in the old rue des Lixes. Nowadays, it is difficult to imagine the appearance of this house amputated from his garden.
History. After 1661, the dismantling of the fortifications frees vast spaces that allow the creation of a promenade and the construction of beautiful and grand dwellings such as the Michel de Colombus Hotel (Jesuit College) and the Aussonne Hotel primitive nucleus from the Pullignieu hotel. Around 1684, the consuls allowed these owners the creation of gardens that will reduce the promenade of the Lixes consistently. The Aussonne hotel was built on this site around 1672. It was rented in the first quarter of the 18th century by the Intendance looking for an administrative seat. Very quickly become too cramped, we acquire neighboring houses to create the necessary extensions to the needs of the Intendance. A watercolor plan of 1755 gives an idea of the primitive form of the hotel. It rises on a narrow plot. At this time the main entrance overlooks the Soubirous-Bas rie while a garden or a large terrace extends over the old ditches. From this primitive hotel remain, in the basement, large vaulted rooms on crosses ogives characteristic of the seventeenth century. In 1758, the building was bought by the Consuls. The Stewardship remains tenant until 1776 and then moved into the hotel Prat-Dumiral. Two years later, Dominique de Pullignieu, first president of the Court of Aids buys the building and makes it his special home. In this last quarter of the eighteenth century, we then proceed to transformations such as its plan, bringing it closer to the French ideal.
Drawing by Alexandre Parisot (1750-1820), dated 1779, exposes the hotel in its best light.In this drawing, certainly somewhat idealized, the facade of the main body is highlighted by two wings that enclose a garden animated by a parterre composed of pieces of grass forming a geometric decoration. If the north wing houses the stables, the south wing surmounted by a terrace is pierced by a monumental entrance gate. In reality, this garden is also a real ceremonial courtyard magnifying the main facade.
In the mid-1790s, Pullignieu retired to Toulouse. The hotel was bought by the Bonnecaze family in 1833 and sold again in 1878 to the municipality that assigned it to the Military Circle. The postcards bear witness to the modifications made after the execution of the Parisot drawing: the wing of the stables is replaced by a building on three levels and the facades are homogenized with that of the central dwelling. On the rue des Lixes, opens a portal adorned with a frieze palmettes. In the center, a bearded man's mascaron is similar to the one preserved in the Montauban heritage center.Today, the mansion has become a private educational institution of aesthetics.
The garden disappeared. From the first half of the 18th century, all the private gardens in the rue des Lixes arouse envy. Consuls are in search of new spaces because the extensive gardens of the College and the Stewardship are a hindrance to the expansion of fairs and markets. Their wish is to divert the commercial traffic on the main road of Paris in order to fluidify and extend the walk. The city hopes to recover the green space before it passes into the hands of Pullignieu, but despite a stubborn struggle, the hotel and its garden are not dissociated. The president of the Aids Court, however, agrees to take back the side wings to allow the widening of the street of Lixes. It is finally in the twentieth century that the death knell of the garden and its wings in return. The street is changing. In 1926, a new post was created.The hotel Pullignieu, again owned by the city, is amputated from its garden and its wings in 1937 and is then preceded by a large square: the martyrs. A new era is born, that of the automobile, the street of the Lixes does not stop modifying itself. Between 1974-1975, it becomes the Boulevard Midi-Pyrenees renamed since July 2008 aisles of the Emperor.