Tradition has for a long time considered, without proof, this building as a remnant of the former Count's castle while it is a patrician residence. The recent study of the cadastres and compoix allows to enlighten the history of one of the oldest mansions montalbanais but also that of its district at the dawn of the Renaissance.
His history. At the end of the 15th century, the building was the property of Jean Vezia, councilor of the King in the parliament of Bordeaux. He passed in the middle of the following century to the Bardons who lived there for a hundred years. Several of them played a leading role in the Protestant city. Around 1650, the building became the property of Elie de Bar, lord of Camparnaud. His heirs kept it until 1779, when it was sold to Pierre Locrate, seneschal prosecutor. The poet and novelist Marcel Sémézies of Montalban, his descendant, spent his childhood there in the 1860s. Like many of its neighbors, the house extended on a long plot of thong over 70 meters.The dwelling house opened on the street Sant Jacme and the common on the street dels Banhs. This street, the current street of the Town Hall, lined with some of the greatest mansions of the eighteenth century, did not yet have its prestigious character. Cluttered by small modest houses facing the stables and sheds of the patrician houses, it was sloped and served for the discharge of wastewater and rainwater. In the late eighteenth, the plot is divided. The part opening on the rue des Bains is sold by Pierre Locrate to a merchant named Rouffio. A wall of 10 feet is then built between the two properties. Nowadays, a beautiful building with Louis XV ironwork stands at the site of the old hotel's squirrels.
Remains of the fifteenth century. Rue de la République, the main building retains exceptional vestiges of the late fifteenth century, a listed building since 1984. The entrance is marked by an elegant twisted stone portal.On the ground floor, a room, probably for the professional business of the owner, is covered with a vault liernes and tiercerons of remarkable finesse. The passage leading to the courtyard is adorned with lamp-heads carved with angels and fabulous animals.
In the back, a spiral staircase placed in a gabled tower adorned with gargoyles, serves the floors. This model tower with angular bays is reminiscent of the staircase of the "House of the Screamer" located in the street Gillaque. The gallery, supported by massive consoles, is of more recent invoice however the wall citizen on which it leans seems contemporary of the house. Small characteristic chamfered bays of the 15th century are distributed on the floors. The main building of the backyard seems to have been built in the late eighteenth century or nineteenth century.